Sunday, June 10, 2012

Animal Weekend

Well, this weekend was interesting. I shelled my first bucket of peas all by myself- lazy kids. That's ok. There will be plenty more buckets and they will be shellin'!


It's been raining a lot so it's been an inside kind of weekend. We did get little bit of rain free skies during which I tried to get in my daily walk (this fluffy girl's form of exercise). Our peek-a-poo, Marley, goes walking with me. Up the road a bit from our house is a large drainage pipe going underneath the road. So during our walk on Friday, as we approach that pipe, I hear something growling. Hmm, is that Thunder? Better walk faster Marley, rain is coming!


Then growling turns into a few barks. Sounds like it's off in the distance but it sure is loud. I turn and look behind us- no dog in sight. I look out across all of the fields that surround us- no dog. Yep, my heart is racing a bit. I have no stick to fiend off a big dog, I'm a bit of a big girl to try to outrun him and my poor little house dog would try to defend me to the death and my children would never forgive me if something happened to that dog. They would rather I pick him up and just try to run. 


I finally figure out that the barks are coming from inside that pipe as we walk over it. Ok, panicked now. We try to be quiet and speed up. I turn several times as we walk farther away from the pipe to make sure the dog that was behind that bark wasn't emerging and coming after us. He didn't. Whew. But guess what? We have to cross back over to go home. Uh-Oh. Could our luck hold out twice?


So, on the way back, I have my hubby's phone #  on my phone screen, ready to hit send, just in case he needed to come rescue us. And, I did manage to find a big stick along the roadside that I could use til my hero could rescue us. So, here we go... speeding over the pipe, trying to be quiet. Here comes the growls. I'm surprised I don't have whiplash as many times as I quickly turned my head back toward that pipe as we crossed over to make sure what I could only assume was a huge dog, wasn't chasing us. And it happened. He did emerge from the end of the pipe. A big, white and brown, German Shepard. 
I hit that send button on my phone so fast! Hubby! Get ready to save us!! No answer. You've got to be kidding me! He knows if I'm walking to be on standby with his phone in case some pyscho tries to kidnap me!!! Hero! Where are you? I look back again. Dog still sitting by the pipe entrance, just watching us. Yay! He's not foaming at the mouth ready to attack! 
Yep, that was a fast walk!


Then..... on Saturday, hubby was trimming limbs from the trees in our yard and came across one of our tree dwelling residents. Now, we have lots of squirrels that live in our trees. It's one of Marley's favorite things to do... chase squirrels. But that's not the resident that honey came across. He tugs at a limb and as it is falling to the ground, so does a white oak snake. Ewwwww! He says he likes them around because they help control our squirrel population, but lately we've seen bunches of squirrels so apparently this resident snake was a lazy one. So, hubby kills the snake. Finally, my hero again! I'd rather have a yard full of squirrels any day!


Later y'all!
amy

No comments:

Post a Comment