Monday, September 17, 2012

Finding Family Time in a Overcrowded Schedule


As with most every aspect of my life, my work schedule is also on a constant roller coaster. I stay extremely busy, then get a bit frustrated or just plain ol' burnt out and take some time off, only to fall behind again and back to extremely busy. And when I say extremely busy, I mean sleeping only 4-5 hours per night for weeks and work filling the remaining 19-20 hours of the day. If I listed it all here, you'd probably have to take a Xanax yourself just from the pure anxiety of reading all about it. But, I bring it on myself, so to speak. Well, the getting behind part anyway. If I'd work non-stop continuously then maybe I'd stay in a maintenance mode instead of a catch up mode. Let me tell you, running an entire magazine along with a couple of other projects by yourself is just simply overwhelming most days, but I know it will all be worth it one day. And that day can't come soon enough!!!

So, how do I find the time to spend with my family? There is no time left to "find", I simply do it. After a week of hardly any sleep, I'll crash and sleep in on a Saturday morning (that's just for me.) But I do make sure I'm up in time to catch The Pioneer Woman's episode. LOVE HER! If there's nothing on TV at night to half pay attention to while I work, then hubs and I will turn on a movie and I'll put the computer down for that 2 hours. I occasionally stretch my legs by taking the dog out or doing a load of laundry or dishes. While cleaning the kitchen is usually when one my girls will walk in and chat for a few. My son comes home from college a couple of times per month, so usually I'm watching movies with him late at night while he's here (computer on my lap but still paying attention to him and the movie).

Occasionally, I get out and about with one or all of them. We may go out to eat dinner, hubs & I may go grocery shopping together, the occasional girls day of shopping, or I'll take 1 or 2 kids to a movie (love me some movie theater popcorn!). This past weekend, slammed with work and health not holding up so well, I managed to squeeze in a Friday night trip to college town to watch baby boy play a little flag football (his first  game of football he's played since high school). Loved it! Miss his sports days. Saturday was all day college football on TV with the girls in & out and my sister even stopped by. Sunday was a movie with my oldest girl, then Kardashians with the youngest. So yes, I am STILL up at 5 a.m. as I write this, trying to get some work caught up. If I don't pull some all nighters, I'm never going to get caught up. ~sigh~

Please make sure you "find time" for your family! They need it and so do you!

No comments:

Post a Comment