Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sweet Treat Day is Coming!

Valentine's Day will be here SOON! Yes, a day of love, romance, dates, nice restaurants, flowers, cards, chocolates and other desserts!!! V-day means no D-day! No dieting on Valentine's Day, or at least according to my own made up rules. So today I just wanted to share a secret family recipe with you, just in time to bake for V-day. My late, step-grandmother's red velvet cake recipe!!! Yes, I'm giving it you, despite all the millions of dollars I could make if I just turned it into a business. But you all know that I have enough businesses!!

Just one thing I ask of you. Once you bake it and try it, come back here and tell me what you think! Of course I think it's the best out there!!!


Icing:
12 oz. cream cheese (room temp)
1 1/2 boxes of confectioner's sugar
Mix together. If too stiff, add a tad bit of warm water.

Cake:
1 stick butter (softened or melted)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs (I use large)
2 oz. red food coloring
2 tbsp. Hershey Cocoa
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
dash salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla flavoring
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp. white vinegar

Beat together butter, sugar and eggs. Make "paste" w/food coloring and cocoa- add to mixture.
Add salt, flour and baking soda.
Add buttermilk and vanilla.
Fold in vinegar very gently.

Bake 30 minutes in floured or non-stick sprayed pans on 350 degrees.
(I usually make 4 layers)


I frost lightly between each layer (icing is very sweet) and heavily on top.
Add chopped pecans to top and side if you'd like!

ENJOY!!!!!
until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment